Tuesday Talk! 4.1.14
April 1, 2014
Spring Break is just around the corner- can you feel it? Here’s one more update for you before you bolt for the door!
- The Districtwide Spring Break recess is April 7 through 11. Less-than-12 month employees are on a mandated recess (using vacation if you’ve got it) and 12 month employees work. You may use vacation with supervisor approval. Remember, if you become ill or injured while on vacation, you may convert vacation to sick leave with the use of the Verification of Illness/Injury form posted on Payroll’s web page (http://www.powayusd.com/depts/pss/payroll/).
- Jury Duty provision- reminder that we have recently signed an MOU with the District regarding payment of a $50 per day stipend for jury duty that has been postponed to a District recess. If you have postponed your jury service to a recess day, you are eligible for the stipend. A copy of your original summons is required.
- The PSEA office will be open two days during the break- Monday the 7th and Tuesday the 8th– but closed for the remainder. Remember that we have discount movie tickets to Regal (Edwards) Cinemas if you need movie time!
- We had a great turn-out at our Spring Open House on Friday- Members, School Board members and District Administration. Great to see so many faces!
- At Tuesday’s Executive Board meeting, Susan Hartman was installed for her two-term as Member at Large. Susan is an Office Assistant II at Westview HS and brings a wealth of experience in labor relations. Welcome to Susan and thanks for your time and talent.
- Reminder that if you are taking a class, workshop, seminar, conference or other training that is related to your current position, you may qualify for the Education Financial Incentive program. The final deadline to apply for reimbursement for education-related expenses for this fiscal year is May 2, 2014. Go to the PSEA website for the application and rules outlining the criteria for reimbursement eligibility. If you have been considering gaining some knowledge but finances are in the way, this may be an option for you!
- As always, I’ve been attending to employee issues this week: discipline, working out of classification, co-worker discordance, unemployment and medical accommodation questions. Should you have a question regarding your workplace rights, feel free to contact me or any other Board member for information. As a reminder, the final version of our 2013-2016 contract is posted on our website (www.poway-psea.org ).
Have a wonderful and restful Spring Break (even if you’re working through it).